Moving on to the town of Città di Castello, the splendour of the Renaissance is immediately visible in the 16th-century fortified walls and the historic centre with its elegant architecture and details, such as the loggia (recessed balcony) of the Vitelli family.
Since the late 1400s, this powerful seignorial family ruled the entire town and transformed it into a renaissance urban city. In particular, they constructed five magnificent buildings that bear their name: the Palazzo Vitelli alla Cannoniera (1521-1532), so called because it stood on the site of a cannon depot, which now houses the Civic Picture gallery; the Palazzo Vitelli a San Giacomo, which contains frescoes by Parmigianino; the Palazzo all’Abbondanza (1490-1550) in Piazza Matteotti, the main square of Città di Castello; the Palazzo Vitelli a Sant’Egidio in Piazza Garibaldi, which was built by Paolo Vitelli in the mid 1500s and contains frescoes by Cristoforo Gherardi and Parmigianino; and finally, the Palazzina Vitelli with its elegant loggia (recessed balcony) that was also frescoed by Gherardi. Thanks to this influential family, many famous artists worked in Città di Castello such as Luca Signorelli, Giorgio Vasari, Raphael, Domenico Ghirlandaio and Rosso Fiorentino. Even the Cathedral bears signs of renaissance splendour, especially the dome on which Pomarancio, Marco Benefial and Tommaso Maria Conca worked.
Other 16th-century buildings include: the Palazzo Albizzini, which now houses the Burri Collection; the Palazzo Bufalini (1572 and 1750); the Palazzo Bondi-Mancini; and the Palazzo del Podestà (People’s Palace) decorated with a baroque façade in 1686.
Not to be missed are the gothic Church of St. Mary the Greater and the 14th-century Church of St. Francis,which houses the Vitelli Chapel (1563) created by Giorgio Vasari.
In one of the altars will store a copy of the famous “Marriage of the Virgin”, here painted by Raphael in 1504 and now on display at the Pinacoteca di Brera in Milan.
Afternoon visit the famous cathedral of Canoscio
Canoscio is a hamlet of the town of Città di Castello (PG).
Located 12 km south of the capital, has no real group of houses associated with, but it is important for the main monument that houses the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Transit Canoscio, a Catholic minor basilica that overlooks the Tiber River from the top of a hill, 449 meters above sea level. the shrine is one of the most important of Umbria and certainly the greatest of the ‘Upper Tiber Valley. According to the data of the City, is visited annually by more than 100,000 pilgrims.